Unity Ren'Py Best game engine to learn to code and create a demo?

Bekai7

Jul 6, 2020
Hi! First of all, thank you in advance. I know there are a lot of posts like this, so I appreciate all the help you can give me and the time it will take you to write your replies.

I want to start by talking a bit about myself, but you can skip that and go straight to my question if you don't have much time.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I know this road is going to be long and bumpy, and I won’t create a hit with my first game. So instead of making the game of my dreams, I would like to start with a demo focusing on the main sex mechanic, with almost no story. Then I would jump to a smaller project, adding some story and slightly more complex mechanics that I can finish, so I can eventually move on to a more complex game where I can apply everything I’ve learned.

For this demo, I want to focus only on the main sex mechanic. I'm greatly inspired by Rogue-Like Evolution, Hypno App, Round and Round Molester Train and especially Bell Master from an ethical standpoint. I want to create a sex scene mechanic that allows you to do whatever you want to a woman, focusing on giving her the most intense orgasms but without the rape or hypno aspects—instead, focusing on stats like trust and relaxation, as in Bell Master. You will need to develop her sexual areas, and you’ll be able to edge her to give her the strongest orgasm—even to the point of breaking her (where she can't cum anymore)—but all with her consent and without abusing her. I also want to focus on different actions and levels of orgasm she can achieve until the last aheago/broken level.

To make that demo, and after reading a lot of other threads, I have two questions:

First, what is the best engine to start with, considering that I don’t have much coding experience, and the help I can get from the senior coder is more as a consultant than as an actual coder?

I’ve read that Ren'Py is the easiest one to learn and the simplest too, but with multiple stats to manage and not wanting to make a visual novel, I’m not sure it’s the best way to go.

Dittymyman wanted to make a remake of Rogue-Like Evolution, and he chose Godot, so I think that might be the best way to go, especially since ONI used Ren'Py and is famous for his spaghetti code, which is very difficult to mod.

And then there’s Unity, which I don’t like very much as a player, but I’ve heard it has a lot of benefits—though it also has a steeper learning curve for someone without coding experience.

The second question is 2D or 3D?

I really like 2D art, and yes, I know 2D can be quite expensive, and Ren'Py doesn’t support 3D. While 3D can be quite expensive at first, it can become cheaper, and Unity would be great for that. However, from what I know, Godot can handle both, as it is currently focused on 2D and has a 3D engine in development. Still, I would like to know your opinions and recommendations.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Simplify simplify simplify. You already know that, but you must force yourself to limit scope while building up experience.

Your idea sounds interesting enough, but without any experience programming or creating a game, to try and build a game like that is equivalent to attempting a Clubman Super 7 build in your garage even though you can barely hold a socket wrench.

You need to build up to it - try making a Soap Box Derby car first. Way less complex, but still a challenge for a beginner, and a lot of fun.

Renpy is the obvious choice for a beginner game spike because it is a simple, purpose built engine - you only need to know 11 command statements to build a basic VN. Including using character stats. Bellmaster could have easily been a renpy game, there's nothing realtime or complex in there.
The only other platform that comes close with regards to simplicty is Twine (tweego/sugarcube), but that needs web dev skills to make it play and look good.
Unity is way more complex. Godot doesn't yet have an "easy for beginners" game framework.

Using Renpy, spend 6 months making something that captures the kink you want (consenting mindbreak by extreme repeated orgasms) as a very basic VN game. Have a few limited dialog in the build up story, then a sex scene with maybe a "loop" of actions you can choose that gradually max out her stats, until you swing into the epilogue with her a drooling sodden mess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bekai7

Bekai7

Jul 6, 2020
Great advice bro thanks a lot! i think i will start with renpy as it uses python wich ive read its one of the easiest lenguages to code. I can master that then move to something more complex. Ill get started on that Soap Box Derby car idea.

basnalex

Jan 29, 2018
For a first game, RenPy helps with a lot of features that you would need to build or add in Godot or Unity that will increase development time. I've been messing around in Godot more now and there are days where I miss having a save system, menus, and character/dialogues that just work when you spin up a new game.

Reactions: Bekai7 and osanaiko

inoveros

Aug 11, 2024
Generally, the one you stick with. You can always spend 30 minutes using each engine and see which one you like best. RenPy / Python is a great choice. When you're a beginner you don't really know enough to form an opinion so its better to just start!

Reactions: osanaiko and Bekai7

WaifuStudio

Game Developer
Aug 12, 2024
As mentioned before, starting with Ren'py is the least complex way to get a small game out.
Then try a Ren'py project but introducing mechanics with Python, until you get used to it.

Knowledge of Python can help you later to start small projects with Godot since the syntax of GDScript is somewhat similar.

If you learn a little bit of both, if you have an opportunity in the future where a 2d/3d artist is willing to collaborate with you, you can take advantage of it! I think the important thing is that you feel comfortable with the engine you choose.

lfgals1

Sep 7, 2022
Godot is probably a better choice than Ren'py if you want to do more than make VNs in the future.

1. Making a VN is almost as simple in Godot as it is in Ren'Py if you use Dialogic 2. (Having a pre built save system is Ren'Py's big advantage, but save systems are something you need to learn to make anyway).
  2. Everything that isn't dialogue and save states is actually easier in Godot IMO. Visuals, Custom Menus, keeping organized, etc.
  3. You are learning the programing language and tools you will actually use.

nodeline

Jul 20, 2024
Godot. Everything you learn there will eventually allow you to migrate to larger projects in other genres. It might be overwhelming at first, but it has plenty of learning resources and once you get the hang of gdscript ( which is basically python for the most part ), resources, scene structure - the sky is the limit.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
I think Godot has a good chance of becoming a major player in 2d games over the next few years.

And judging by the number of times it get mentioned recently, the zeitgeist is on the up.

But I think that suggesting it is a good choice for a first timer is a mistake. Godot is not yet a good choice for someone with minimal programming experience who just wants to "learn to code" and "build a demo", especially a VN game.

If he chooses Renpy, there are so many subsystems that come ready out of the box - save/load/inter-version compatibility, rollback history, character images and dialogue window system, simplified low-code screen layout and interaction design. All of those would need to be written from scratch (or integrated from someone else's package) if you choose a different platform.

Last edited:

lfgals1

Sep 7, 2022
I mean, Dialogic 2 does all those things except the save/load system (it sort of does this, but just for its own dialogue part. You could make a basic VN with a save system out of the box in dialogic though) and rollback. On the other hand you aren't fighting the framework once you start branching out.